With Memorial Day coming a little early this year, and the large amount of rain we have received it has been hard to take advantage of the warm weather. Luckily the forecast for the Holiday Weekend is going to be in the 70’s with some sun and no chance of rain, according to weather.com. Memorial Day is a great opportunity to look back and reflect on those who have given their lives to serve our country, and those who continue to serve. Now if you are attending or hosting a cookout this weekend, we have three excellent recipes to add to the party!
- Salmon Skewers with Almond Charmoula
You will need: ½ cup sliced almonds, 3 medium sweet onions, ½ cup raisins, ½ teaspoon saffron, 3 garlic cloves, 3 cups cilantro leaves, 1 cup mint leaves, 1 jalapeno, 2/3 cup olive oil, ¼ cup lime juice, salt & pepper, twelve 8-inch wooden skewers, 1 ½ lbs skinless salmon, 1 lb small cremini mushrooms, 12 oz cherry tomatoes, 2 yellow bell peppers.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spread the almonds on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- In a medium bowl, combine the minced onion with the raisins, soaked saffron, and ¼ cup of the toasted almonds.
- In a food processor, pulse the garlic with the remaining ¼ cup of almonds until chopped. Add the cilantro, mint and jalapeno and pulse until finely chopped. Add the olive oil and lime juice and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Stir 2/3 cup of the herb mixture into the onion-saffron mixture to make charmoula. Reserve the remaining herb mixture for grilling.
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler. On the skewers, thread the fish cubes alternately with the mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers and onion pieces. Season with salt and pepper and brush all over with the herb mixture.
- Grill the skewers over moderate heat or broil them, turning occasionally, until the fish is medium within, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the skewers to a platter and serve with the charmoula.
- Grill Roasted Bacon-and-Scallion Corn Muffins
You will need: 5 slices of Bacon, 1 cup flour, 1 cup yellow cornmeal, ¼ cup sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, pinch of cayenne pepper, 1 ½ cups of frozen corn kernels, 4 large scallions, 2 large eggs, 1 cup sour cream, 4 tbs melted butter
- Set up a grill for indirect grilling with the coals on one side, and heat to 425. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet set on the grill or stove, cook the bacon over moderate heat, turning once, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels and crumble.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. In a large bowl whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, black pepper and cayenne. Stir in the corn, scallions and crumbled bacon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the sour cream and melted butter. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until just blended. Pour the batter into the muffin cups.
- Place the muffin tin on the grate opposite the coals, cover the grill and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few crumbs attached. Serve slightly cooled.
- Backyard Lemonade
You will need: 1.5oz Gin, .75 oz lemon juice, .75 oz Fino Sherry, .5 oz simple syrup, 2-5 halved strawberries, 5-7 mint leaves
- Combine gin, lemon juice, sherry, and simple syrup into cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake.
- Strain into a glass and garnish with mint leaves and halved strawberry.
Hopefully these recipes can be used to help you make the most out of this long weekend! For a full look at the recipe book these were pulled from click here.
This post was written by Brookview at Franklin